1. Always smile at the driver when you get on the bus and say thank you when you get off. And if you get the chance of a chat take it. Bus drivers are human and they respond to people being friendly.
2. On a country bus, smile at your fellow passengers. On a city bus, don't.
3. Never pass a public toilet without using it.
4. As soon as you arrive at a place you don't know find out where your next bus will leave from – even before going for a walk, a coffee or a pee.
5. Wear an interesting hat – it encourages people to talk to you.
6. Don't complain to the driver if a bus is late. It's not the driver's fault if the bus has been stuck in roadworks.
7. Never plan to catch the last bus to anywhere. If you do you will have no back-up if things go wrong.
8. If it's a double decker go upstairs – and sit in the very front seat if you can.
9. Take an old cloth with you so you have something other than your sleeve to wipe the steamed-up windows with.
10. Plan your journey in advance . . . but always be prepared to change your mind at the last minute.